I guess I should learn to always expect the unexpected... Yesterday morning I drove my husband to the E.R. because he had been having a severe headache for more than 24 hours and early the next morning he started to lose the vision in his left eye. His left eye was visibly moving from side to side, free from his right eye. We started to freak out a little so we called my sister-in-law who is a nurse and asked her if we should take him in. She suggested that it was most likely a migraine, but to take him in anyway, because he had no history of migraines. So we ripped the kids out of bed and packed them up to spend what we thought would be a few hours with their cousins. When we got to the E.R. (thanks to Tiffany, who called and put in a good word for us:) they immediately took him back and took his vitals and began asking questions. About 15 minutes later he was having a CT scan and about 15 minutes after that we had a bomb dropped on us. Ok, it wasn't literally a bomb, but it felt like one. We went in thinking it was just a bad headache, and ended up learning that Svata has a palm sized tumor on his pituatary gland that had hemmoraged and was creating trememndous pressure in his cranial cavity. This pressure is what was causing the headache and vision loss. The doc came in and told us all of this, then told us that we would be speaking to a neural surgeon about removing it, and then said, (and I quote), "But don't push the panic button." (This person obviously isn't HUMAN if he thinks he can tell us this, and then tell us not to panic. I mean, come on now, I thought my hubby had a migraine and your telling me he has to have brain surgery. PANIC, PANIC, PANIC!) They then proceeded to take him for an MRI where they could get a more detailed view of the mass and learn exactly what they were dealing with. Then the neurol surgeon came and spoke with us and for the first time all day I felt like I could take a breath. He told us that 99.99% of the time these tumors are benign. He also said that they will most likely be able to remove it entirely, but even if they can't, he will still most likely be fine. There is only a 3-5% chance that it will grow back. Those are good odds and I like them. They will go in under his nose and through the nasal cavity to remove it and after the surgery he will only be in the hospital for 3-5 days.
Right now he is at the NCCU (Neural Critical Care Unit) at IMC where they are giving him steroid treatments to try and take down the swelling in order to help his vision and make his headache managable. If this is successful, they will discharge him today and we will wait until Friday for the surgery, but if not, they will do the surgery today. I will keep everyone posted, but in the meantime, keep him in your thoughts!
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Not expecting the unexpected.
Posted by Très Sucré at 11:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh my goodness, how scary! We will definitely keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers over the next few days. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you.
We are praying for you guys! Let me know if I can help out with the kids or anything! Love you guys!
AAAaggggh! I am so sorry! Aren't you so glad you went it to get things checked out! What can we do to help? Can I take the kids?
That's so unexpected and I would be panicked. I'm so glad that he has such good odds and that all should be well soon. We are ready and willing..just say when. But you know that.
Best wishes and prayers for all of you!
Thanks everyone! We have had lots of calls and lots of offers for help. Sorry that I can't get back to everyone, but know that we appreciate it! We'll let you know when we need help!
Post a Comment