Ok. So I have been going to the gym for about 10 months now. On average probably 4 times a week. But for the last few months, 5 times a week. I'll admit, I've done well, all in all dropping about 20 pounds and generally feeling a heck of a lot healthier and more energetic. I am even at the same weight I was before I got married... But, I decided to try a Cardio Kickboxing Class today. As I was watching myself in the mirror throwing punches, kicks, and squatting, I couldn't help but notice the ever-present blob that is my belly. Hmmm. It seems that no matter what I do, this blob will always be. I've been told that fitness is 80% what you eat and only 20% exercise. So, I have been trying to watch what I eat, and I do really well, until about 9:00 at night, after my kids are in bed, and I sit my (also blobby) bottom on the couch to watch all of the silly shows that I have DVR'd. I could have done super all day, like maybe eaten only 1500 calories, but then as I am watching American Idol, or even worse, Food Network Challenge, the cupcakes that I have made for my kids start calling my name. Or the one last peanut butter Easter egg that has some how made it this far. Or the Double Vanilla Ice cream. Dang it! And since I can't just switch those statistics to 80% exercise and 20% what I eat, any advice on how to curb those late night cravings??? And don't just tell me not to eat after dinner. That will never happen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Congratulations on your workouts & weight loss! That is so awesome. You look great & how you feel is probably the BEST feeling too.
I once was doing really good at exercise & weight loss until I "discovered" a great after dinner snack...salsa & home baked tortilla chips. I was thinking how low fat this was and totally didn't realize that one tortilla has 120 cal. Oops! I think this seemingly good snack was partially responsible for a maddening plateau!
So my advice...drink a couple glasses of water first, then pick something you do enjoy that is tasty but not so on the naughty list. Or just plain indulge but limit the portion.
I don't practice this, but it helps. ;0)
Since I'm pregnant, I eat everything in sight no matter what time of day. But if I'm not pregnant, and really wanting to eat a high-calorie late night snack, I just go to bed. I can't eat if I'm sleeping, and I probably need to catch up on a bit of sleep anyway. Hans gives me a dirty look when I suggest he go to sleep instead of eat another cookie. :)
Way to go on being so good at working out! I have NO good ideas about not eating that yummy junk food, I admit I love it all! I guess my advice would be to clear it all out. When you make treats, give away all but what you want your kids to eat. I don't know, for me if it is here, I'm probably going to eat it! Stock up on some healthier stuff to munch! Again, I AM NOT AN EXPERT (obviously)!
Dusti, your so silly. Just call me at 9:00 at night and I will walk down remove the cupcakes or whatever else you are eating and insert into my mouth. No Problem, I will be your disposal. All you have to do is call......
My friend I am right there with Tina and would to help wherever I can, but maybe you should watch those shows in the morning. I however can't get to the gym once a week, so you are already killin me.
Yep - I sit in my bed around 10:30 and eat tollhouse crackers and cheese, so I may not be a good source of information. Despite my carefree eating habits, I do have a thought. I think you just have to plan on eating an evening snack (or mini-meal if that works better) and eat something yummy and satisfying. So yeah, pull out the ice cream and have a scoop (or 2). If you were planning on eating it, you won't overindulge because it wasn't an indulgence in the first place. Other nights you may go with hummus and apples to feel a bit more healthy (I wouldn't, but you might!) Way to go though! I think you look great!
Post a Comment